Waste-Not Veg Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 aubergine, chopped 500g tomatoes, diced or crushed
- 350g dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight then cooked
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano pinch of dried chill flakes (optional)
- 120ml home-made vegetable stock
- bunch of kale, chopped salt and pepper
- small bunch of parsley (stems and leaves), chopped leftover bread, toasted
Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion and fry until translucent, then add your garlic and cook until fragrant.
Now add the aubergine, tomatoes, beans, paprika, cumin, oregano and some salt and pepper – you can even spice it
up a bit with some chilli flakes. Stir and combine until it starts to simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add the stock, reduce the heat to a very slow simmer, cover with a lid and cook for
10 minutes. Add the kale and cook for 5 minutes, or until wilted. Check that the aubergine is soft, then remove the pan from the heat, sprinkle over the chopped parsley and serve with toasted leftover bread to soak up the juices. Enjoy!