Baked Beans On Toast
- 2x 400g cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 120g mushrooms of any variety, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 thick slices of bread
- Aquafaba butter, olive oil or avocado
- Fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
Put a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic, chilli flakes and paprika. Stir occasionally until the onions are translucent and the garlic begins to brown lightly.
While you wait, blend the tomatoes, tamari and apple cider vinegar until completely smooth. Add your mushrooms to the saucepan and stir well. Reduce the heat, then add your puréed tomato mixture. Add the brown sugar and stir for 2-3 minutes. Fold in the beans and stir well for 3-5 minutes over low heat until the mixture thickens a little.
Toast your bread and spread it with aquafaba butter, olive oil or avocado. Add heaped spoonfuls of the beans – if you have coriander laying around, chop finely and sprinkle it over for the final touch.