Stem and All Green Burger
- handful of spinach (stems and all) handful of rocket 1⁄2 bunch coriander (stems and all) 1⁄2 bunch dill
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced 60g dried chickpeas, soaked for 24 hours then cooked (see page160 in More Plants Less Waste cookbook to prepare from scratch) or 1 x 200g can, drained
- 130g dried cannellini beans, soaked for 24 hours then cooked (see page 160) or
- 1 x 400g can, drained
- 70g peas (fresh or canned – upcycle that can, see page 200)
- 130g chestnut mushrooms 300g oat flour (or any flour you have). 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil cayenne pepper
- dried parsley
- salt and pepper
For the flax egg
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds 3 tbsp water
- Burger buns crisp lettuce
- sliced tomato
- red onion
- home-made cheese sauce
In a food processor, on a low speed, pulse your spinach, rocket, fresh herbs and garlic for 20 seconds into a pastelike consistency. Next, add your chickpeas, beans, peas, mushrooms, oat flour and extra virgin olive oil and pulse again until you have a rough paste.
Preheat your oven to 200C.
In a separate small mixing bowl, make your flax egg by mixing the flaxseeds with the water and whisking with a fork for 1 minute. Allow this to sit for 5 minutes to coagulate, then add your flax egg to the paste in the processor and blend. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and mix in the spices, using your hands and making sure everything is evenly combined.
Using your palms, shape the mixture into 6 small burger patties and place them on a baking sheet (no parchment is needed). Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes, or until the edges start to crisp and brown.
Serve on a bun, with crisp lettuce, sliced tomato, red onion, cheese and homemade chips (and don’t forget the chocolate milkshake!).